Wheatgrass! Yes im sure you have heard that word circling around, and yes its grass thats crazy good for you!Â Wheatgrass is the young grass of the wheat plant.The leaves are tough to digest, so theyâ€™re usually crushed and squeezed to make juice.
Here are many benefits to juicing Wheat grass:
- High in chlorophyll ,which is an important blood builder,Chlorophyll contains enzymes and super- oxide dismutase, a copper-containing protein found in mature red blood cells. This enzyme decomposes superoxide radicals in the body into a more manageable form, thereby helping to slow down the aging process.
- Wheatgrass is a nutritionally complete food.
- Great for detoxing, Wheatgrass is probably best known for its detoxing effectes on the liver.
- Has the ability to increase oxygen in the blood, helping to stimulate circulation.
- Chlorophyll helps to increase oxygen supply in your bodyâ€™s cells and tissues, which contributes to cell regeneration, helping to heal the body and reducing your fatigue.
- Wheatgrass helps to prevent tooth decay by re- mineralizing the teeth and drawing out the toxins , to do this gargle a shot of wheatgrass juice in your mouth for a few minutes.
- Great at stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- Due to its potent detoxifying properties, wheatgrass works to keep the blood clean and oxygenated as well as the red blood cell count high. Cancer thrives in a low-oxygen environment, so the wheatgrass contributes to cancer prevention.
- Wheatgrass is also great for boosting your immunity.
You will need:
- 1 Large glass jar
- Wheatgrass seeds
- Organic Compost
- 2 Trays 18 cm by 24cm plastic square containers
- 2 Large trays to fit the smaller containers(mine is 28cm by 38cm
Firstly, you want to soak your seeds in water over night, cover the seeds in water so they all get to soak through the night.
Drain the water the next day, then allow the seeds to start to sprout over 2 days rinsing in the mornings, once they get little tails they are ready to be planted.
I use 4 18 by 24cm trays, pour in some organic compost just below half way, add your seeds to cover the soil but not overlap too much as you don’t want to crowd them. Then sprinkle some more compost overtop to cover the seeds, water with love and wait !(: It takes about 5 days for wheatgrass to grow enough for it to be harvested. Cut right down at the roots and then juice.
Drinking the wheat grass with some apple juice really helps with its strong taste, so it doesn’t taste like you have just mowed the lawn and the taken a swig!
Cut 1 tray of wheatgrass, put through a masticating juicer along with 1 apple and lemon (optional)
Drink and enjoy! I find wheatgrass great for an energy boost, or if I’m feeling a bit run down and feel my body needs a break, having wheatgrass and doing a simple day cleanse always helps!