Spring is definitely here in KZN! These days are so glorious, it is my favorite time of year. Not too hot not too cold, the golden sun shining down on your skin feels oh so good. I have naturally started eating lighter, drinking more water and wanting to follow some gentle cleansing tips. So I decided to put together 5 easy to follow gentle cleansing tips. A nice deep detox is also great at times, but some people prefer some gentle cleansing especially if you have to work and can’t be dealing with detox symptoms (;
Our body’s are striving for perfection all the time, that is its goal. That is why we eliminate waste products through our kidneys, lungs, skin and bowels. There are a lot of toxins in processed foods, and when we start to eat more nutritious food, the body gets into overdrive and starts to detoxify. We need to support our body in this process, by following the 5 steps below and being patient with ourselves. The ‘cleaner’ the body, the more sensitive it is to more processed foods and substances and will then try to eliminate these substances which it sees as toxic. When you are wanting to change to a more natural diet and healthy lifestyle and want to minimize the detoxification symptoms, then a more gradual and gentle approach is best. If your feeling any of the below a gentle cleanse can definitely help.
- Unexplained fatigue
- Sluggish elimination
- Irritated skin
- Low-grade infections
- Puffy eye or bags under the eyes
- Menstrual problems
- Mental confusion
- HYDRATE: Drink your water, water is vital for our health. Try your best to drink spring or filtered water.Ideally our water should have a pH not greater than 7.2 and not less than 6.8. Outside of this range the body struggles to deal with the mineral imbalance as it is designed to use water with a pH of 7. Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% of water, it is the single most important nutrient, and without it we would not be able to utilize any other nutrients effectively.The body relies on water to flush away waste products such as urine. Aim for 5-6 glasses a day. But go with how you feel, as you don’t want to drink too much either as it will put strain on your kidneys. Below are some great products to use regarding water health that I recommend: Stefani Water Filter 5 Litre , Sports Tanka 800ml Stainless Steel Bottle ,Designer Water Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
- FRESH JUICE: Get juicing! This is a gentle way of cleansing your body, adding different fruits and vegetables that have different healing and detoxing properties as well as being a great way to get the raw nutrients your body needs. Juices are full of antioxidants , vegetable juice is alkaline, and helps release acidic toxins from the body. Drinking 2-4 cups a day of trace mineral rich juice can speed up detoxification, and serve as a maintenance to help keep toxins cleaned out. You can try my Green Juice here . Green juice made from leafy greens, works especially well to eliminate wastes and toxins. It is a good idea to include one or more of the greens each time you juice. I have added below my favourite juicer as well as a great supplier of already prepared juices and cleansing packs: DNA Cold Press Juicer, The Juice Kitchen, Oscar Juicer DA900
- FRESH FRUIT: Fruit is truly a complete food. Vitamins and minerals are in a form that is ready to be absorbed and digested. I recommend having 1 fruit meal a day, you will find you no longer crave sweets as you will get enough glucose in your diet. Fruit is so easy to digest because it is a partially digested food, meaning that the nutrients on the fruit are in their simplest form. The sugar in fruit is a simple sugar(monosaccharide). It cannot be broken down any further, it is ready to be absorbed and assimilated directly by the body just like the fats in fruit are in the form of fatty acids ready to also be absorbed and assimilated. The protein in fruit is also already in its simplest form. Fruit requires very little energy for digestion, and is the best food to eat when your body is trying to cleanse or detoxify itself. By eating easily digestible fruit, your body has a lot more energy available to do its cleaning and restoring! I try to buy my fruit as local and Organic as possible, most cities and suburbs have an organic veggie or fruit box. In Hillcrest I like to use Fresh Organics .
- EXERCISE: There is no way around this one! We were designed to exercise and use these beautiful bodies we were given. One of the most important reasons to exercise is that it helps regulate at least 18 different hormones. These hormones regulate growth hormones, which help correct body weight , slow down the ageing process, increases the body’s ability to produce energy and break down fat, stabilize blood sugar, and regulate appetite and body temperature. Exercise also helps with regulating your menstrual cycle and regulates your thyroid function. Finding an exercise program that best suits you is best in helping you stick to it. I love to run/walk and do yoga. That way I get in some cardio and get sweating(so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.), strength as well as gaining flexibility from my yoga practice. Walking is the most natural form of exercise for man, just walking 5 minutes a day is better than nothing and slowly work it up to 30 minutes a day. Don’t put pressure on yourself, take it slow. Yoga is the perfect physical, and mental activity, connecting body and mind. Finding calmness within yourself as well as building strength, endurance and flexibility in the body. For walking you can walk in your neighbourhood or a local park. Join a walking or running group, or find a friend to walk with you for company. For your Yoga practice, going to a class is always recommend so you can be assisted and guided in the right direction. Below I have attached links of a local studio as well as online Yoga classes for Triyoga (Kriya) and mixed styles with My Yoga Online. Blissmonkie , My Yoga Online, TriYoga Online (Kriya)
- BODY BRUSHING: Stimulates the skin and helps it to be more efficient at cleaning out the waste products directed to it. Many pressure points are activated when brushing the body, which in turn naturally stimulates the Central Nervous System. Body brushing also removes dead skin cells, leaving the body’s natural oils behind, increases the flow of oxygen and blood to the skin which brings more nutrients and keeps the skin looking younger. Helps to tone and tighten the skin, and helps in getting rid of cellulite. All you need is a natural fibre body brush or loofah. How to do it : Brush in the direction of the heart very gently before you bath or shower. The whole body should take 5-10 minutes. Do not over-brush as you can irritate the skin, and do not brush skin with a rash or wound. Do not put soap in the water or on the brush. Soap removes the natural oils of the skin. The skin then feels dry and tight and you then might add artificial oils and creams. The oils I recommend are Cold-pressed olive, coconut, avocado, sesame or almond oil. You can purchase a body brush from most pharmacies like Dischem , clicks or the Body shop.
I do hope that your try these simple steps out, and they help you keep healthy and full of energy in your everyday life. Please do let me know if you do try them and how it goes. I would love to hear all about it. Sending so much love to everyone that reads this. To living a healthy and vibrant life. Lets respect our gorgeous bods!
Source: The Natural Way- Mary Ann Shearer and Course notes